Monday, October 18, 2010

A Week in the Life of... (Part V)

In this series, I will record the interesting and not-so-interesting events of the school day and post it the following morning.  This is an effort to reflect on my day and my teaching and to provide you with some of the more mundane things that happen in the classroom and influence the process of education…

Friday
Today, the second section of Earth Science took their test.  Block schedule often means various sections of a class happen on different days.  In lab sciences, this can mean extra work in setting up and breaking down labs.  

After the test, we watched the “Deserts” episode of Planet Earth.  Normally I would have a noteguide for any movie presentation, but this was a bonus after the test.  Planet Earth is a fabulous program.  Its strength is in covering the physical and biological science of a region or biome.  The series seems to have sparked a new age of quality science films.  There is a great selection of Earth Science and Physics media out there.  Yet, I have yet to find a quality series on Chemistry that wasn’t filmed last century…

Physics was a lively crew – last block on a Friday.  I would say one thing in lecture and 2-3 people would start talking.  This was a real pain, except all the side discussions were about physics.  “I appreciate your excitement, but let me get through this!”  The topic was dynamics (forces and motion) which is fun to teach because we have many misconceptions about the physical world.  Whether it is 3rd Law force-pairs or understanding balanced forces and Newton’s 2nd Law, it is great fun watching students re-create their worldview in a physically correct fashion.

This is the last installment of “A Week in the Life of…”  It has been a fairly ordinary week in the classroom (while lacking in entertainment value, ordinary is fine with me!), yet an extraordinary week in my life outside of the classroom, as Wednesday’s events put me in a daze for the remainder of the week. 

Perhaps I will do this series again, a cross-section sampling of sorts, but in the meantime: reclaim public education!

No comments:

Post a Comment